As usual, every morning I'll read my Bible according to my Bible reading plan. As I read, there is this chapter that I red, truly challenged my mind. It's the story about David, in his youth defeated the giant Goliath that no one in Israel even dare to face. It's a story that almost everyone of us have heard, but how many of us have really learned the meaning behind this story. How many of us really believe we could slay the giant? How can a young man like David, who never had any experience in war dare to face the giant? The answer is simple. Follow me!
V 1-3 Israel and Philistine are gathering, ready to battle each other out.
V 4-7 Goliath showed himself to Israel, with his armor and weapon, to show how big & tough he is.
V 8-11 Goliath comes out and taunt Israel, to make them scared.
V 16 For forty days, Goliath has been coming out to taunt Israel, yet there's none that dare to step out and fight.
V 24 And whenever he comes out, everyone will fled in great fear and despair.
V 25 Saul even willing to give out such reward to anyone who can kills Goliath, yet still none of them dare.V 26 So one day, David saw how Goliath taunt Israel, he got angry and asked,
“What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?”
V 28 David's own brother discouraged his heart for God.
V 32-34 But David still believes in his heart, even though Saul try to talk him out of it.32 David said to Saul, “Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him.” 33 Saul replied, “You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a young man, and he has been a warrior from his youth.” 34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, 35 I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. 36 Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. 37 The LORD who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.” Saul said to David, “Go, and the LORD be with you.”
V 38-40 Saul tried to give David his armor, his sword. But it was all to heavy for him and he took them off. He ends up taking his own staff, a slingshot and 5 smooth stones "from the stream".
V 41-44 Goliath walks closer to David and despised him, looking at his weapon.V 45-47 But David kept his faith, and stand still. It is not important what weapon that he brings to the battle "... I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel ... , for the battle is the Lord's ..."
V 48 David ran towards the giant! Even I can't believe it.
"As the Philistine moved closer to attack him, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet him."
V 49-51 When David successfully bring down Goliath, he didn't just wait. He ran towards Goliath, used Goliath own sword to kill him.
What are the lessons? What is the secret?
1. Problems / Obstacles will always be there waiting for us. Unless we make a move and go through it, we are stuck! Problem will always seems tough, but we must always stand firm and be tougher. Don't we all believe that God is bigger than anything in the world.
2. When nobody is willing, doesn't mean we should also be unwilling. Every obstacles are chances for us to grow, for promotion.
3. When we are doing thing for God's cause, God will see us through. That's Yes and Amen! And that's why David is called a man after God's own heart. This story show us how true that is. He can't stand Goliath humiliation on Israel, as it would be the same as humiliating God.
4. We need to choose what other tells us wisely. Every once in a while, we will face discouragement from people around us. And it doesn't matter how close they are, how senior they are. That's why we need to always keep a clear and positive mind.
5. Remind ourselves of the past, when God saves us. Always remember how God saves us, not how we become successful because of our own power. Don't let it become a stumbling blocks for us, don't let it make us prideful. Remember this: Our past experiences are training for the next obstacles!
6. Prepare well, prepare the best. Notice that David choose five smooth stones from the stream. Why must he go all the way down to the stream to collect the 5 smooth stones, while at that area, stones are said to be everywhere. David choose the smooth stones because it flies faster. Those are the best to use with a sling. But why 5, when with God even 1 is enough? Because we will never know God's plan. That's why we need to prepare only the best!
7. Give our best shot. See how David run towards Goliath. When we have prepared well, all we need to do is go forward and face the obstacle.
8. Don't leave room for complacency. When David bring down Goliath, he didn't just stand there. He run forward, take Goliath sword and kill him. Don't be too smug because we have conquered half of the problems. Keep on pushing forward!
9. Trusts in God fully. None of this would happen if David didn't trusts in God. If we trusts God, do it with all our heart, our soul and our mind. Even though sometimes God's way can be uncomprehending, but remember that it always bring the best result.
~ Problems Defy, People Discourage, but God Saves ~